Sunday, May 08, 2011

Gun Law and Physicians

The new gun law makes Florida the first state in the nation to prohibit doctors from asking patients if they own guns. HB 155 entitled "Privacy of Forearm Owners" passed the Florida House and will be signed into law by Governor Scott. NPR featured this law in a recent story http://www.npr.org/2011/05/07/136063523/florida-bill-could-muzzle-doctors-on-gun-safety. Having read the entire bill http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2011/0155/BillText/er/PDF I am trying to understand what I am allowed to ask my patients and how I can protect myself from those who exercise their constitutional right to carry guns. Here are the some of the problems the bill presents us with:

* The bill states that “A health care practitioner licensed under chapter 456 or a health care facility licensed under chapter 395 may not intentionally enter any disclosed information concerning firearm ownership into the patient's medical record if the practitioner knows that such information is not relevant to the patient's medical care or safety, or the safety of others."

Question: How do I know whats relevant to the patients safety? Actually, I was taught to be concerned about "anticipatory guidance" — teaching parents how to safeguard their children against accidental injuries. Like pediatricians family doctors ask about bike helmets, seat belts, and GUNS. That means I cannot counsel a parents how to secure a gun to prevent accidental injury and death? Shall I delete those questions from my patient intake form? Shall I NEVER ask those questions? Will I be disciplined if I dare asking those questions?

* But in the next paragraph the bill also states that " Notwithstanding this provision, a health care practitioner or health care facility that in good faith believes that this information is relevant to the patient's medical care or safety, or the safety of others, may make such a verbal or written inquiry."

Question: So what is correct and prevents my exposure to disciplinary action? Shall I adhere to a don't ask, don't tell policy?

* The bill contains other confusing language such as " A health care practitioner licensed under chapter 456 or a health care facility licensed under chapter 395 shall respect a patient's legal right to own or possess a firearm and should refrain from unnecessarily harassing a patient about firearm ownership during an examination."

Question: What if a gun owner claims to feel "harassed" by a doctor and files a complaint with the Board of Medicine then a physician has to answer and file a response. That requires legal advice and consultation which costs $$$. Facing such a dilemma precludes ANY questions about guns. That's what the NRA wanted, the legislators did and the FMA endorsed!

* The bill goes further stating " A health care provider or health care facility may not discriminate against a patient based solely upon the patient's exercise of the constitutional right to own and possess firearms or ammunition."

Question: What if the patient has a concealed weapon permit and carries a concealed weapon in the medical office and I discover such a weapon during the exam? It happened to me several times!! Can I ask the patient to leave and return without the weapon without him/her claiming that I harass them? Can I establish a policy prohibiting patients to carry guns on my premises?

* Furthermore, the bill contains an entire paragraph about patients rights BUT NOT a single sentence about physicians rights and safety!! That's what the NRA wanted, the legislators did and the FMA endorsed!


Yours
Bernd

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm an internist, not a pediatrician or family practitioner. During health maintenance exams, I routinely ask whether there are firearms in the home, along with questions about use of seatbelts, sunscreen, diet, exercise, alcohol/drug use, sexual activity, interpersonal violence, sleep, mood and more. It's one question in a long list of questions related to prevention. Glad I don't live in Florida.