Saturday, September 26, 2009

Leaving the FMA

LETTER TO THE PRESIDENT OF THE FMA,DR.JAMES DOLAN:

Dear James:
I hope that you are doing well.
For several months now I witness the relentless anti-AMA rhetoric applied by the FMA leadership and the continuous attacks on any meaningful healthcare reform efforts which are sorely needed. I am also outraged that you continue to ignore the reality of the growing number of uninsured in Florida calling it a "myth."
In Miami we reached a 36% Uninsured rate and in Hialeah alone 56%!!! This is not a myth but REALTY! Not only does this trend challenges our public health but also adversely affects the financial viability of medical practices and hospitals and we must find a solution to this problem!!
After long deliberations I finally reached the conclusion that I have no place in the FMA. I fundamentally disagree with the FMA policies and am especially appalled by the vitriolic criticism of the AMA. It already triggered an increase in the AMA member non-renewal rate and will further diminish our representation within the AMA House of Delegates. This criticism is especially difficult to understand because Cecil Wilson is the AMA's President Elect! Why are we stabbing him in the back? Therefore, I relinquish my membership privileges effective immediately. I am saddened that I was forced making this decision but I see no other option.
Stay well.
Yours truly,
Bernd

No comments: